Thursday, December 30, 2010

Eat Local in 2011


With the New Year, comes a New Year’s resolution. In my case, my resolution is to live a healthier lifestyle. I realize resolving to live a healthier lifestyle is a resolution with many facets. The most obvious way to live a healthier lifestyle is to eat better. After doing some research, it occurred to me that the easiest way to achieve this goal is through a diet full of local foods. 

According to Men’s Health Magazine, “local produce from small purveyors is generally fresher. Research from Iowa State University shows that while a local Iowa apple travels only 61 miles, a conventional supermarket apple travels 1,726 miles.”( Click Here for the Full Article)

The USDA reports that in 2009 6,132 farmers markets operated in the U.S.. By buying local foods, you are eating healthier foods and supporting U.S. farmers. To me, this looks like a win-win situation to me. So, this year, resolve to live healthier by eating local. 

No comments:

Post a Comment