Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Shame on Me!

Yesterday, I challenged myself to 24 hours of living free from products made in China. I failed miserably.

My Cup that was Made in China
As it turns out, I live in an apartment full of goods made in China. Yesterday evening, shortly after I announced to the world that I was taking a one-day hiatus from products made in China, I stopped by my next-door neighbor’s apartment. I had a green cup in my hand. As I was bragging to her about my China-free day, she said, “I bet that cup in your hand is made in China.” As it turns out, she was correct.

It got worse from there. Apparently, half of my apartment is made in China. For instance, my “Lachlan Dining Table” was made in China. I did a little research, and it turns out that I could have an American made version of my table for the same price. So, shame on me.

This morning, I got dressed in a hurry. I didn’t pay attention to where any of my outfit was manufactured. Later in the day, I decided to take a look. The only part of my outfit that was not made China was my shoes and handbag. At least I have good taste in accessories.

Even though I was not successful at my day without China challenge, this was a great exercise. I think I feel much more aware of the origin of the products that I use on a daily basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment