Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My juice may contain apples from where?


While I was on the elliptical today, an interesting thought popped into my head. I began to think about the origin of my food. I, like most health conscious consumers, can spout off the calorie content of everything I put in my mouth. But, I can’t say the same thing about the origin of my food.

In case you lost me, I am talking about the Country of Origin Labeling Act (COOL). COOL is serious legislation. The law took seven years to pass and had 100 sponsors in Congress. It requires country of origin on fruits, vegetables, chicken, beef, pork and fish. Additionally, with fish the label must say whether they were line caught or farmed.  

According to COOL, labels cannot say, even though they do, that “apple juice may contain apples from the following 10 countries.” This practice goes against COOL.

If you see a COOL violation, such as the one I described, contact the Made in the USA Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment