Monday, January 3, 2011

Read Labels


Earlier this week, I came across an article on the Wisconsin State Journal’s website. Essentially, in about 150 words, the author discussed the origin of his Christmas presents. Karl Schwenk stated, “I just looked at my Christmas presents to see where they were manufactured. Three tools were manufactured in China. Of the clothing, one item each was manufactured in Indonesia, Bangladesh and Jordan. A meat thermometer, a CD, chocolate and a beer-making kit were made in the U.S.A.”  (To see the full article click here.)

This inspired me to do the same as Kark. Of the five clothing items I received, not a single one was made in the USA. Granted, three of the five items were made by European designers.  However, I was disappointed to find that my A.B.S. by Allen Schwartz dress was Made in India. I honestly thought that Allen Schwartz, an American designer, manufactured his clothing in the U.S..

I’m not going to digress about why we should by things that are manufactured domestically. However, I would like this to serve as a reminder to check the labels. If nothing else, check labels for your own personal knowledge. If you give your money to a company that manufactures abroad, give it knowingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment